We were on vacation for a week and I have fun stories and photos to share, but before I do that I thought I'd show you what happened last night....
5:00 PM -- Our area was under a severe thunderstorm WATCH. The WARNINGS were far to our north.
6:00 -- I was grilling dinner when it got VERY dark outside. So dark in fact that I couldn't tell if the chicken was cooked or not.
6:05 -- I brought the chicken in and turned off the grill because I didn't want to be outside with all that lightning! Turns out the chicken wasn't fully cooked so I was going to pop it in the microwave for a minute so I wouldn't have to go outside again.
6:06 -- Power went out. So much for the chicken. Luckily the kids had just finished eating because they had been starving earlier and just couldn't wait.
6:07 -- Got the flashlights and candles. Ate corn on the cob for dinner by candlelight. We noticed some roof shingles on the lawn.
6:20ish -- The smoke detectors went off. Great. A fire??!?!? I went to the basement -- no fire there. Gerard went upstairs -- no fire there, either. BUT THE RAIN WAS POURING INTO OUR BEDROOM THROUGH THE CEILING FAN AND SMOKE DETECTOR onto our bed. We quick pulled off the mattress and placed buckets on the boxspring. It was too late. There was so much water in the attic that it was seeping into the walls, too. So, our bedroom was soaked, the wall was soaked, the living room ceiling below was getting wet, and the stairs leading to the basement were wet, too. And there was nothing we could do because it was still pouring outside and we had bare wood on our roof.
8:00 -- We put the kids to bed (their rooms were fine) and Gerard set up the air mattress in the living room.
10:00 -- Gerard assured me that the ceiling in the bedroom would be fine. Yes, the seams were wet. Yes, it was still dripping. But no, it wasn't going to collapse. We went to bed.
11:40 -- We heard a loud bang from upstairs. We ran up to find the ceiling ON OUR BED. Yup. The ceiling. On our bed. Insulation everywhere. Lovely. So much for Gerard's assurances.
12:40 -- Power came back on.
6:30am -- Morgan woke up and we began the lovely process of talking to the insurance, getting the roof fixed, finding a contractor to assess all the damage and fix everything. Fun.















4 comments:
Holy smokes! Thank goodness no one was in bed! You are all free to come stay with me while your roof and ceiling and wall and all are being repaired :) Seriously, I'm glad no one was hurt.
Oh my gosh...I'm so glad you guys are okay. You're all welcome to escape to Denver. We'll even cook you up some chicken to replace your uneaten meal.
If you go anywhere it had better be to Buffalo!!!
oh no!! if they go anywhere it had better be to Long Island
so glad you are all safe you will have stories to tell for a long time
I hope your home has a speedy recovery
p.s.-the chicken is in the oven as we speak
Post a Comment