banner created using Designer Digitals products

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

{run, forrest, run!}

For those of you who don't know me well, let me tell you how much I enjoy running.

I hate it.

I can spend forever on the elliptical machine, I can walk for miles, but I DO NOT RUN. Not unless I'm being chased by a large dog. Or a man with a knife. Or Morgan is hanging precariously from the monkey bars. Or Morgan falls into the pool without a life vest (yes, she fell in the pool yesterday).

Several of my good friends are runners. I feel pangs of guilt every time I see Jayna run by my house. Robyn runs marathons. The rest of you know who you are. Me, not so much. Let me share a story with you to help put it all in perspective....

Back in college at SUNY-B (remember when it was called that?) people used to run around the "brain". The road that traveled through campus was called the brain because of its, um, brain shape. My dear fit friends Robyn, Ilene and Aldine were among the brain runners. I, however, was not. One day I decided to give it a go and when I returned, defeated, I told Robyn that I only made it to the mailbox. She seemed quite impressed, figuring of course that I ran THE LONG WAY to the mailbox, not just the short stroll (which probably amounted to less than .1 mile). I'm not sure I ever corrected her assumtion. (Now you know, Rob!)

I do have a point here other than to completely embarrass myself.... I ran a mile today! Woo hoo! Yay me. I didn't set any records or anything, but I did it. I know many of you are thinking, "so what!?" but I am proud. Please forgive me for gushing. :)

4 comments:

Robyn said...

CONGRATS!!! (and I feel famous and a little gushy that I made it onto your blog). That's awesome - and hopefully it felt great (if not when you were running than when you finished!).

I called you on Sunday but you were napping. We're around all weekend...let's connect. I want to hear more about your running adventures.

Grandma Andrea said...

Are you f..g nuts? How did Morgan fall into the pool?

Arleen said...

I am duly impressed - the only thing I can run is a fever!!
keep up the good work - and like Grandma Andrea -how did Morgan fall into the pool?? (and when are you starting her swimming lessons???)

Amy the Cookie Lady said...

Robyn...I did feel good. Especially when I was done. :)