banner created using Designer Digitals products

Monday, January 31, 2011

{excuse me for bragging}

WARNING: LOTS OF PICTURES AHEAD. I JUST COULDN'T NARROW THEM DOWN. SORRY!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We had another busy weekend and it started Friday afternoon with Gerard's parent-teacher conference. We are very proud of him! He is above average academically and his teacher's only suggestion was that he work a little faster (he tends to lose focus with a class full of 25 friends). Please don't mind my bragging, but here are some of the highlights:

Spelling: 97%

Oral Reading Fluency score (per minute): 144 (the January goal is 68)

Club Words (reading high frequency words): SPELLING 420 Club (end of year goal is to READ to 400. He has read all 1200 and has moved on to SPELLING.)

Open Court comprehension tests: 95%

Accelerated Reader comprehension tests: 90%

STAR test independent reading level: 3.7 (meaning he's reading at nearly a 4th grade level)

WAY TO GO, GERARD!!! We are so proud of you and hope you continue to do your best work.

We are also very proud of Gerard in hockey. Saturday was a special event called Hockey Cares at the [INSERT COLLEGE NAME] rink. It was a fundraiser for cancer awareness and the kids played two 30 minute games and got to tour the [INSERT TEAM NAME]'s locker room. (You know I can't reveal our secret location!) Morgan was such a trooper for hanging around the rink for so long!



















It was a long morning and then we went to watch some of our favorite girls play basketball. I think each girl thought Gerard was there especially to watch HER. Emma, Ashley, Ashley, Cora, Madeline.... Ahhhh, Gerard's girls.....

Sunday was more hockey and Gerard was goalie. Oy vey. I am NOT cut out to be a goalie's mom. Too much pressure. WAAAAY too much pressure. Luckily, Gerard was fantastic and his team crushed the other team. I think he only let in 3 goals and made some amazing saves. Here are some pictures from the game and I hope to have some video soon!
















And now we're bracing for a big winter storm that should be here by Tuesday afternoon or evening. I'm expecting a snow day on Wednesday, so you can expect some snowman making/snow angel making/snowball fighting pictures soon!

Oh, and last weekend the kids did a fun stick relay race at the end of practice and I forgot to post those pictures. Enjoy!















4 comments:

Grandma Andrea said...

We are so proud of Gerard!

Debbie said...

Great action shots! He does look like he has a spine like a slinky :) Great job in school too. Oh, and there's no such thing as too many pictures!

Arleen said...

Debbie said it right - no such thing as too many pictures
Tell Gerard I've never even met him in person and I'm proud just knowing someone like him
You should ALL be proud of your star student and athlete.
Do Yale and Harvard give hockey scholarships???? :)
p.s.-I'll expect an invitation to his college graduation please!!

Amy the Cookie Lady said...

thanks, all!